The day before started out pretty normal. I went into work, had a normal day then went to a going away party for a very dear friend. My Auntie Deb was scheduled for surgery the next day at the hospital I was planning on giving birth at. Everyone at the party joked that I would go into labor that night and would give birth the next day and Auntie Deb and I would be in the hospital together.
![]() |
| At the party (I was a beast!) |
The contractions continued into the night and gradually became stronger and more consistent. Adam and I realized that this might be the real thing. He convinced me to call in sick to work, since I work in town-- if I had to drive myself to the hospital, there would be a very big chance that I would get stuck in traffic. I woke up at 9am. I decided to watch some t.v. and time my contractions. I was shocked to find that they were now very consistently 3-4 minutes apart. I became terrified, it was a Tuesday and everyone was at work and I was home alone. Everyone I needed was at least an hour away. The only thing that kept me calm was the fact that I didn't have the 'bloody show' yet (tmi?).
Around 10am, I went to use the bathroom and looked in the toilet and the water was bright red. I rushed to the phone and called Adam. I told him that my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and that I had my bloody show. He needed to come home-- it's 'time'. Because he works the furthest away from me, I called my grandma to come and get me. Adam also called his sister, Diane to come and get me. It became a race to see who could get to the house the fastest.
I took a bath and packed while Ava, my little brother and I waited for someone to come and get us. The first person to come was Adam! He was the furthest away from me! I was so relieved to see him. The next to show up was Diane, followed by my grandma =) Everything worked out because Diane was able to watch Ava and my grandma was able to watch my little brother while Adam and I checked into labor and delivery.
We got to the hospital at 11am and at that point, I had been in labor since 8pm the night before. The nurses got me hooked up to the machines and got me settled in. They did an exam and we were all shocked to find that I was dilated to 6cm! They asked me if I wanted to get the epidural. I knew what kind of pain I would be in and I knew that I wouldn't have much time to get it, so I told them yes. I know that a lot of women are really good with labor pains and delivery and have no need for them-- a good example being my grandma who delivered 6 kids without any pain medication or a husband allowed in the delivery room with her. I delivered our first son without pain medication. At the time I had hoped that it would help him to be strong throughout the delivery. At that time I would do anything to help him survive. He came out breech (feet first) and that was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. The experience was not a very beautiful one for me or anyone else in the room with us (regardless of the outcome).
| Happy as a clam |
It was such an amazing experience. I felt powerful. I felt so in love with my husband. I felt so hopelessly in love with and powerless to the beautiful, little being that was looking up at me. He is such a strong little boy. From the moment they placed him on my chest, he was lifting his head and looking around at everyone in the room.
I didn't think that I had any room left in my heart to love someone else after I had Ava. Now that he is a part of our lives, it is like he was never not a part of us. We cannot imagine life without him. He is a sweet, loving, quiet, forgiving (to his very intense sister who still thinks he is one of her baby dolls), strong, hungry little kid. We love him so very much.



3 comments:
beautiful story kristen!
now you have TWO adorable kids!
Wow thats a first for me... tears at work. Thanks for sharing sister. Love you and can't wait to hold Noah!
I know this is super late Kristen but....CONGRATULTAIONS!!! I'm so happy and excited for you guys! What beautiful children you have! I'm glad I'm finally back to the blogging world so I can keep in touch with all our firends! KIT!
Love,
Crys
Post a Comment