"A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self. And mothers are their daughters' role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships." ~Victoria Secunda
As I began what always seems like a 20 mile trek up Moanalua Road to my car after work, I hear a horn honk at me. I look over just in time to see a petite hand wave from the window of an imposing silver Seqouia as it speeds off towards the freeway. As I feel the dust from it's gigantic tires blind me, I realize my own mother drove off without offering to give me a ride! After all, we do work in the same building! Feeling a little irritated, I dial her number. As soon as she answers the phone, I waste no time in calling her a 'ditcher'. She laughs and begins to tell me that I am getting fat, and that my fanny, stomach, arms, face, legs, etc. is no longer firm and that I should cut out the ice cream every night as well as all other sweets and that I needed the exercise. Actually, she didn't tell me those things-- I made that up =o) She actually had a really good excuse not to pick me up and told me that she simply had to hurry home. I felt sad. Not because she 'ditched' me, but because I enjoy our little '20 mile treks' to our cars. It's our special time together after work. To vent. To listen. To complain. To encourage. After a long day at work, I look forward to it. After all, she is my best friend.
This little moment made me think of the short time that I will have to endure on this earth without her. One day, she will have to 'hurry home' and I will feel, for a short time, that she 'ditched' me. I began to feel nostalgic and emotional. I love my "mommy", but sometimes I don't tell her and show her just how much. Sometimes I hurry through life, stumbling and sometimes falling only to have my mom gently pick me up and dust off my knees. She encourages and gently guides me through all of my moments, both sad and happy. She loves me with a patience and grace that amazes me. I love her so very much. I hope to one day be the mother she is to me.


3 comments:
this made me tear up- what a lovely tribute to such a lovely lady! your mom always makes me feel like we have been friends for a long time and that she is interested in me and amby. i cant believe she got him a shirt! plus, your mom looks younger and cooler than me. why? she is amazing!
give me a sec to wipe away the tears in my eyes.
k- all better
what a cool mom. what a cool daughter. what a cool family
=) what a beautiful blog on such a significant part of your life. mothers are wonderful, aren't they? you're one! and soon i will be too. bless you kristen!!!
Post a Comment